New Vista High School Counseling Department hosts many presentations and workshops to help support students and families as they navigate through high school. In addition to the events below, our counselor also meets with students during the day to assist in planning high school curriculum and post-secondary options.
The Counseling Department has several events and workshops planned for the 2022-23 school year. Please view the New Vista Calendar for times and locations.
- Sept. 12: Senior College Planning Night, 6:00 pm.
Hi Seniors (and Parents/Guardians of Seniors) --If you plan to attend college next year, (or any time in the future), it's important you attend this year's "College Planning Night for Seniors and Parents" on Monday, Sept. 12 at 6 p.m.. Join your counselor, Diane Jensen, for a virtual event to learn about applying to college, navigating the Common Application, requesting letters of recommendation and transcripts, using Naviance, writing essays, taking a gap year, and much more.
The college application process varies at all high schools, and it's very important for students to understand this process AT NEW VISTA.
This is our main way to deliver this important information, especially this year, so we really hope you can make it.
- Sept. 26: Paying for College and FAFSA Night: A Special Event for Seniors and Parents, 6:00 pm. Join New Vista counselor, Diane Jensen, to gain a greater understanding of how to pay for college. Topics will include financial aid, the FAFSA, the CSS Profile, tips for saving money, scholarship searching, and more.
Please register HERE
- October TBD: College Visits Week
- October TBD: In State College Fair
- October TBD 2022: Colorado Free Application Days!
- October 25: Take the PSAT at New Vista, 8:00 am
This PSAT is the best practice for the SAT, which all Juniors will take in the Spring. The test is primarily given to 11th graders, though 10th graders are welcome to take it for practice. It is very similar to the PSAT 10 that Sophomores will take this Spring. The difference between the PSAT 10 and the PSAT/NMSQT is that the PSAT/NMSQT is used to qualify 11th grade students for the National Merit Scholarship Program. Go to: http://www.nationalmerit.org for more information on this program. WHEN: Tuesday October 25th, 2022 from 7:45 am-noonish REGISTRATION COST: $45 (Fee waivers are available for eligible families) There are a few spaces still available. THERE ARE NO REFUNDS! HOW TO REGISTER: Bring cash or a check made out to New Vista H.S to Ann Thomaier in the front office BEFORE SCHOOL, AFTER SCHOOL, AT BREAK, OR AT LUNCH or pay online here.
- November 1: College Planning Night for Juniors, at 6:00 pm.Junior year is the perfect time to begin creating a plan for after high school. If your plan may include college, this event is for you! Join our counselor, Diane Jensen, for an informative and interactive evening to help students prepare for the college search, as well as college admissions and application processes. Topics will include: ● Understanding New Vista and college ● What you should be doing to prepare for college now ● Learning the nuts and bolts of college admissions ● Using Naviance ● Lots of resources ● And more! Mark your calendar for this virtual meeting on Wednesday, October 20th at 6:00 pm. This is our main way to deliver this important information to students and families, so we HIGHLY encourage you and your student to attend. Please RSVP HERE so we can plan accordingly.
- March TBD.: Little-Known Secrets of Paying for College (virtual)
- April 26: New Student and Parent Welcome Night, 6:00 pm in the Study Center. For all 2022-23 incoming students and their parents.